Monday, July 19, 2010

Away from the Norm

The last few months I've been offered jobs that are completely out of the box for me. One was for a corporate event invitation & logo, the other was for a Power Point sales presentation of a new product, and the last a poster announcing an upcoming musical event at the Courthouse Square in Prescott, AZ. Bottom line: CHALLENGES, CHALLENGES, CHALLENGES! 


I have to admit, I was quite intimidated when I first began working on each of these jobs. After all, I'm supposed to be funny - or at least whimsical with my work! None of these asked this of me. I had to put on my SERIOUS hat... my Graphic Artist hat....which hasn't been worn enough lately to fit comfortably. I nearly always take on a new challenge, because, for some reason, I'm of the mindset that if someone else can do it, why not I? So I start thinking outside the box, thrive on Google research, and doodle ideas all over the place... using my eraser a LOT! This is a good thing. By the time I'm finished with each assignment I'm feeling so accomplished - like I just passed a crazy hard test! I've now used computer programs like Illustrator, and Indesign, and Photoshop like I'd never used them before! I won't say that I didn't speak to my computer in a very loud, frustrated voice throughout the process, but in the end, I felt really good.... sort of like putting together a complicated meal that takes all day of cooking & figuring out the recipes! Once I got a taste of the work, it was delicious - and I can say I could do that! with a "pat pat pat" on the back. :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Love it...good job!