Wednesday, July 28, 2010

If You Can Say Something Nice - Say It!

Last week I went with my daughter and friends to P.F. Changs for dinner. As usual, the food was over-the-top and the company delightful — but to top off the over the top evening was none other than James, our server. He was the BEST!! Not only did his face light up the room with his deeply dimpled smile, but he was on target for what we didn't even know we needed throughout the evening!
    
Each one of us was REALLY impressed! So impressed that I called the manager over to our table as we were about to leave. She came over looking a bit glum - the "Uh oh, what'd we do wrong?!" kind of look. When we enthusiastically told her of this guy's virtues as a server, she was thrilled. "He's up for Manager, so it'd be great if you sent these compliments on to Corporate." We took her card showing the email address and left.

I couldn't wait to give this server, James, the kudos he so much deserved! I mean, it's a BIG thing - acknowledgment. How many people are taken for granted? How many don't realize the effect they've had on someone after performing an act of kindness or by taking that EXTRA step to do a great job at whatever it is they do? So, I wrote an email to Corporate, who will forward it on to James, who will wear that dimpled smile when he reads it, and may even be promoted to Manager because of it.
    
Maybe it's the artist in me. . . being my own worst critic. Erasing, redrawing, erasing, redrawing - until it's right. . . or at least until I think it's right! It's a vulnerable job, being an artist.
    
Well, guess what? The same morning that I sent that complimentary email, I by chance came across a website blog that was written unbeknownst to me. It's title:

A little bit of inspiration goes along way...

Posted by Emma Measures on Thursday, November 19, 2009
I really like the work by Susan Drawbaugh...


especially this mouse, i think they work really well and love the colours, the simple designs but somehow they seem to have a great amount of detail. i like the use of tones and shades which really bring the characters to life. I'm a child at heart and i love these kind of images.
     Yes. . . This blog brought a big smile to my face. How nice to know my work has inspired someone - I had no idea. Acknowledgment is the best!

No comments: